DVD burning doesn't start

Public discussion about our DVR-Products. Exchange knowlegde with other users and us.
Antworten
Culme

DVD burning doesn't start

Beitrag von Culme » 06.07.2009, 22:36

Hi forum. Sorry if this topic is covered, my German isn't good (at all) and I have been having some trouble navigating the forum.

My question:
I run the trial version of DVR Studio 2 (2.15) on a laptop with Vista premium (64 bit).

All my projects fail when it comes to burning. With the DVD writing interface setting "INTERN", burning freezes at 0% and I have to kill the app with Task manager.
With the DVD setting "ASPI", the software reports that my driver doesn't support the selected media - though I know it does. On a side noote, when choosing ASPI, the drop down box below "DVD writer device" becomes empty.

I have tried several different TS files, and several media types, but DVR Studio just refuses to burn anything!

Thank you in advance for your help.

/Culme
Kimi
Programmierer

Beitrag von Kimi » 07.07.2009, 09:02

On 64-bit OS this can happen if you do not give administrator rights to the application. Try to start it with right mouse click > Run as Administrator.

When you changed the writing interface: did you restart the application?

Another option would be to use Nero for dvd writing. DVR-Studio Pro can directly use Nero if it is installed.
Culme

Beitrag von Culme » 07.07.2009, 09:49

Kimi,
danke schön for your quick reply.

I did test running the application as an administrator, and I did restart the application after changing the writing interface.

It's odd - with "INTERN" selected the software manages to list the optical drive, but hangs when trying to burn. (Erasing dvd-rw media seems to work though, at least it passes that stage without error.)

With ASPI selected, no optical drive is visible in the list of writers, and I get those media type errors.

In both cases it still seems that the software is communicating with the optical drive, since it is able to detect the type of disc and calculating suitable burning speed etc.

Anyway, I'll see if I have some old version of Nero lying around, and test if installing that makes any difference. Or does it have to be a rather new version to work? (I did install tha latest version a few days ago, but MAN - it's a 2 GB burning software!? A bit too hoggish for me, so I uninstalled...)

/Culme
Kimi
Programmierer

Beitrag von Kimi » 07.07.2009, 10:30

Nero supports writing DVDs from version 6.5 (or something like that).

And I agree: it evolved into an awfully huge brick of software.
Culme

Beitrag von Culme » 07.07.2009, 12:14

Kimi,
I installed version 6.6 of Nero. It gives lots of warnings about not being compatible with my Vista version, and the Nero app itself hangs from time to time, BUT I was able to burn a DVD from DVR Studio using NERO as writing interface.

Honestly, it doesn't feel very stable though, so I'm not sure I would settle for this as a final solution. I've read about some serious system errors following the install and use of incompatible Nero version so I'm a bit nervous about it...

Do you have any idea why the INTERN writing interface doesn't work for me? Is it likely to be related to Vista in general, or to 64 bit Vista, or to
a hardware issue, or something completely different?

Thanks again / Culme
Kimi
Programmierer

Beitrag von Kimi » 07.07.2009, 14:12

I understand your concerns regarding Nero on Vista.

The problem almost for sure is related to 64bit or the combination of 64bit/Vista.

I recently tested the software with Windows 7 RC1 64bit and no problems there with the INTERN interface. But the ASPI didn't work.

I'm almost certain these problems are related to deprecated or dropped System-Calls in the 64bit version. Microsoft did remove some old System-Calls that were marked as being obsolete since Windows XP. They are still there in the 32-bit versions of Vista and Win7 but not in the 64-bit.

As both the INTERN and the ASPI interface are 3rd-party software I cannot check this myself. The company we have the ASPI interface from is out of business unfortunately, but I'll issue a bug-report for the INTERN one.
Culme

Beitrag von Culme » 09.07.2009, 19:32

Kimi,
thanks again for your help. I will do some further testing and see whether it feels comfortable or not to use DVR Studio with this workaround.
I do hope you get that problem sorted in a future release either way.

Best regards

Culme
Antworten

Zurück zu „DVR-Products“